MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Jorge Polanco and Josh Donaldson hit back-to-back homers to lead off the bottom of the first inning. Randy Dobnak bounced back with five scoreless innings and the Minnesota Twins beat the Detroit Tigers 2-0 in the first game of Friday’s doubleheader. Dobnak gave up just four hits, a walk, and struck out four batters. Taylor Rogers finished off his eighth save in 10 chances. The consecutive leadoff homers were the third allowed by Detroit starter Matt Boyd (1-5) this season. He also gave up back-to-back home runs to the Chicago White Sox to start games on Aug. 12 and 17.
- AP source: NFL fines 3 coaches, clubs for unmasked coaches
- Eugenio Suárez homers, surging Reds beat Brewers 6-3
- Jackson State introduces Deion Sanders as next head football coach
- Packers answer Lions early surge, dominate 3rd and 4th quarters in win
- Tigers manager Gardenhire announces immediate retirement