CANTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of his 8-year-old son in a suburban Detroit home.
The Wayne County prosecutor’s office says 33-year-old Nicholas Bennett of Canton Township was arraigned Friday.
Prosecutors said Bennett was working on a rifle Dec. 15 in a Canton Township home when the weapon fired. The boy was in the room with his father when he was shot. He later died at a hospital.
Bennett faces a Jan. 29 probable cause conference and a Feb. 5 preliminary examination.
The Associated Press was unable Friday afternoon to determine if Bennett has an attorney.
- Michigan parents toss child to neighbor to escape fire
- Lawmakers outraged after Michigan National Guardsmen served raw or moldy food
- Video: Horse rescued from Michigan icy pond
- Alpha Michigan Brewing Company’s Tippin’ UP event to help raise funds for local food pantries
- 13 killed when SUV carrying 25 collides with semi-truck near US-Mexico border