GRAND MARAIS, Mich. (WJMN) – On July 19, 2021 around 3:00 P.M. a United States Coast Guard vessel out of Station Marquette reported seeing a wildland fire.
The location of the fire was near Twelvemile Beach campground in Picutred Rocks National Lakeshore (PRNL). Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) firefighters responded to the fire along with assistance from Burt Township Fire and PRNL park rangers. Approximately six acres burned of state forest and national park lands.
An investigation into the start of the fire is still ongoing. FIrefighters will be at the scene today conducting mop-up operations. Smoke and limited visibility may affect the area in the oncoming days near Twelvemile Beach campground and along Highway 58 near Kingston Lake campground.
“Thank you to all our agency partners who reported and helped us keep this fire under control,” said Chief Ranger Joseph Hughes. “I would like to remind all park visitors to recreate safely. Drivers and visitors should slow down and use caution in the area.”
- FBI: Remains found in Wyoming fit the description of Gabby Petito
- Body found in Wyoming as search for Gabby Petito is underway
- FBI investigates 2 bombs found near northern Michigan stores
- COVID calculator: Group develops tool to estimate person’s chance of getting virus
- Nurses are leaving the profession, and replacing them won’t be easy