MARQUETTE, Mich. (WJMN) – UPDATE 5/9/23: The Michigan State Police, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division (MSP/EMHSD) is reminding all home and business owners with water or other damage from recent snowmelt and heavy rain to utilize free help by calling 211.

Volunteers are available to assist in water removal, tearing out of drywall and flooring, removal of damaged personal items, yard cleanup, and more. Cleaning supply kits are also available free of charge.

Those with damaged property in need of assistance are encouraged to call 211 by May 19, 2023.

“As we continue to support the local efforts to recover from this devastating event, we encourage anyone in need to take advantage of these resources available,” said Capt. Kevin Sweeney, deputy state director of Emergency Management and commander of the MSP/EMHSD. “This is designed to help take some of the burden off those who are most affected.”

Volunteers are able to help with the removal of damaged items and cleanup but will not haul away garbage or debris.

For more information on how to prepare before, during, and after an emergency or disaster, visit

ORIGINAL STORY: Even though most of the snow has melted, parts of the U.P. are still in danger of flooding. Michigan State Police and other state and local agencies are urging anyone affected by recent flooding, especially those in the western counties to report their damage to the state by calling 211. An accurate count of the damages will determine the level of aid the Upper Peninsula will receive from FEMA during this state of emergency. Michigan State Police Lt. Mark Giannunzio says that underreporting or failure to do so can end up costing other areas of the Upper Peninsula funds needed from FEMA.

“Even though the water levels over on the west end are receding quite a bit, we’re still seeing a lot of damage,” said Lt. Giannunzio. “So, we really want residents over in those areas that are experiencing flood damage to contact one of the websites that we’ve provided to report those damages. We’re going to be requesting funding from FEMA the federal government for infrastructure costs and damages. So, it’s really important that residents over in these areas report to 211 the damages that they’re sustaining that the residents.”

Lt. Giannunzio goes on to remind people that even if the damage is hidden below the water line, you should continue to report your damage. Even if you already reported damage, you could do so repeatedly until all the damage is revealed.