UPDATE 8/6/2021 – The incident occured during a training conducted by an outside organization and no people were harmed during the fire. The welding lab did suffer from minor water damage after a filter above a welding booth caught fire. Welding classes will be held as scheduled during the fall semester.
ESCANABA, Mich. (WJMN) – Escanaba Department of Public Safety responded to a fire at Bay College on Thursday around 4:00 p.m. It was reported that there was fire coming from the inside of the Welding/Shipping and Receiving building.
There were 18 students and two instructors inside that evacuated safely.
Upon arrival, officers deployed attack lines and entered the building. The building’s automatic sprinkler system was already activated.
It was determined that the filter system for one of the welding stations had caught on fire. The building sustained smoke and water damage. There were no injuries reported.
- Enjoy a day of family fun at Ford Airport Day in Kingsford on Saturday
- Rival teams come together to honor veterans
- UPDATE: Second body found in search on missing kayakers at Pictures Rocks National Lakeshore
- Dickinson-Iron District Health Department issues mask requirement for educational settings
- Your body’s backup immune system remembers COVID virus, research shows