Like Local 3 News on Facebook:
SCHOOLCRAFT COUNTY — Around 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 25, Manistique Public Safety Officers were dispatched to the report of a domestic dispute in progress at 306 Deer Street in the City of Manistique.
Upon arriving at the scene, officers found that the alleged male suspect in the original call had left the scene, and that the alleged female victim was still present. Additional investigation of suspicious activity led to the officers discovering a working portable methamphetamine lab located in a dumpster near the residence.
Further investigation led to the arrest of Michael Jacob Murray, 24, on multiple felony drug charges and domestic assault.
Stacy Lynn Clauss, 31, was also arrested on multiple felony drug charges.
Both suspects were then lodged by Manistique Public Safety at the Schoolcraft County Sheriffs Department.
A 7-year-old child located within the residence was taken into protective custody and turned over to the Michigan Department of Human Services for shelter and support.
Officers then summoned the Upper Peninsula Substance Enforcement Team (UPSET) for assistance with additional investigation and to dispose of the meth lab which was still working, causing a dangerous situation to officers, citizens, and property in the area.
UPSET immediately responded to the scene and controlled / removed the dangerous situation while under the protection of Fire Officers, equipment, and charged fire truck lines of the Manistique Public Safety Department.
Investigators then forwarded their report tot he Schoolcraft County Prosecutor for review. On February 27, both Michael Murray and Stacy Clauss were arraigned in the 93rd District Court of Schoolcraft County.
Murray was charged with the following offenses:
- COUNT 1 – Controlled Substance – Operating / Maintaining Laboratory Involving Methamphetamine, a Felony, 20 years and / or $25,000.
- COUNT 2 – Controlled Substance – Delivery / Manufacture – Methamphetamine, a Felony, 20 years and / or $25,000
- COUNT 3 – Ephederine / Pseudoephedrine – Soliciting Another to Obtain, a Felony, 10 years and / or $10,000
- COUNT 4 – Controlled Substance Use (Narcotic / Cocaine / Ecstasy) a Misdemeanor, 1 year and / or $2,000.
Stacy Clauss was charged with the following offenses:
- COUNT 1 – Ephederine / Pseudoephedrine – Purchase / Possess to make Meth, a Felony, 5 years and / or $10,000.
- COUNT 2 – Accessory After the Fact to a Felony, a felony, 5 years and / or $10,000.
- COUNT 3 – Controlled Substance – Maintaining a Drug House, a High Court Misdemeanor, 2 years and / or $2,000.
- COUNT 4 – Controlled Substance Use (Narcotic / Cocaine / Ecstasy), a Misdemeanor, 1 year and / or $2,000.
Upon arraignment, both Murray and Clauss were placed under a $50,000 cash or surety bond for the offenses charged. Both were unable to make bond and were remanded to the custody of the Schoolcraft County Sheriffs Department pending their next court appearance, which is scheduled for Monday, March 13, at 10 a.m. in the District Court of Schoolcraft County.
Manistique Public Safety received assistance with this investigation at the scene from uniformed officers of the Michigan State Police, and again thank UPSET for their invaluable assistance rendered that date.