CLINTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Be on the lookout for the produce poachers. Hundreds of pounds of vegetables were stolen from a community garden in suburban Detroit.
The garden is outside the senior center in Macomb County’s Clinton Township. Assistant director Debbie Travis says video shows someone riding up on a bicycle at night, followed by many flashlights. Gardeners were puzzled when they returned to check the plants after the Labor Day weekend. Tomatoes and cucumbers were gone.
More than 1,000 pounds of vegetables were produced last year, with most of it going to food pantries. Travis says the garden is “like a senior playground.”
- ‘Pandemic in a pandemic’: New push in Congress aims to prevent health care worker suicides as COVID rages on
- WATCH: Gladstone Marching Band halftime entertainment
- GOTW Preview: No love lost between Marquette & Kingsford
- In The Zone: Kingsford’s Nic Nora displays elite athleticism against Shawano, WI
- Sports Zone Football Team Rankings (9/16/21)