DETROIT (AP) — Detroit police say they killed a gunman during a shootout who was suspected of fatally shooting a woman over a child-custody issue and firing shots at a police station.
Police Chief James Craig says members of the department’s Special Response Team approached the 28-year-old man about 7 a.m. Tuesday as he sat holding an AR-15 rifle in an SUV in a parking lot on the city’s east side.
No officers were wounded in the shootout.
Craig says the man is believed to have killed the 28-year-old the mother of his child late Monday on Detroit’s west side before going to the police station, firing shots and driving away.
- Plane that flew out of Ironwood lands safely after losing tire in neighborhood near Chicago O’Hare International Airport
- Trouble breathing, loss of teeth: Some COVID-19 patients face lasting consequences
- ‘Good time to change’: ISD gets rid of Cass name
- Urging vaccinations, faith leaders cite belief, reason, responsibility
- Can & Bottle drive to help local organization support children and families impacted by abuse