ROYAL OAK, Mich. (AP) — Officials say a male polar bear killed a 20-year-old female polar bear at the Detroit Zoo when he attempted to mate.
The zoo says 16-year-old Nuka killed Anana on Monday after being apart for several months.
Scott Carter, the zoo’s life sciences officer, says the death was “completely unexpected.”
The zoo says Nuka has lived at the zoo since 2011 and bred with other female bears without harmful behavior.
Anana arrived at the zoo in suburban Detroit in January 2020 and was introduced to Nuka a few months later.
The zoo says the mating program “is vital to sustaining this endangered species.”
- ‘Something we can call our own’: The heyday of Michigan’s Black resorts
- Twitter announces ‘Super Follows,’ and not everyone is happy about it
- Fundraiser for Dan Rouleau at Hancock High School Hockey game Friday, February 26
- Black soldiers faced discrimination in Vietnam, back at home
- Restaurants find a bright side to the restaurant occupancy restrictions