NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Police Department said Sunday it has suspended an officer without pay a day after he was seen on video saying “Trump 2020” over a patrol vehicle’s loudspeaker, a violation of department rules.
Commissioner Dermot Shea tweeted Sunday that the officer’s behavior was “One hundred percent unacceptable. Period.” He said officers must remain apolitical.
WARNING: Video contains profanity
Mayor Bill de Blasio also promised swift action, writing in a tweet that an officer “pushing ANY political agenda while on duty will face consequences.”
A message seeking comment was left with the union representing patrol officers.
Videos posted on social media captured the officer bellowing his support of President Donald Trump from a marked police department SUV just before 10 p.m. Saturday.
- Mackinac Island announces opening details for the 2021 summer season
- B.1.1.7 variant has been confirmed in Menominee County
- LSU confirms body found in Mississippi River is missing LSU Student
- CDC advisory committee holds emergency meeting, decides to wait to make J&J vaccine recommendations
- Habitat for Humanity launches Power of Home campaign to raise funds for Michigan communities