SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. (WJMN) — A man from Florida has been arraigned on numerous charges following an incident involving Michigan State Police (MSP) in Sault Ste. Marie earlier this month.
According to MSP, James Kamal Itani of Orlando Florida has been arraigned on one felony count of terrorism, third-degree arson and 11 counts of assault with intent to murder. Numerous weapons charges were also filed against Itani.
Itani is currently being held in the Chippewa County Jail on a$5 million bond.
(September 7, 2023)
The man accused of torching multiple police cruisers is still in critical condition, according to a spokesperson for the Michigan State Police. His injuries were the result of the shooting on September 7.
Just before 2 p.m. that afternoon, police found and searched the property where the 39-year-old Florida man was believed to be located. During the search the man fired a gun at the officers. Police say officers then shot back and hit him. First responders then took the 39-year-old to a hospital downstate for treatment. No officers were shot.
MSP has not confirmed whether it was one or multiple officers who shot back at the suspect. The police agency did confirm at least one officer is on paid leave and investigators with MSP Seventh District are looking into the shooting, which is standard procedure.
This is a developing story. Local 3 will keep you updated on air or right here with the latest information.
(Original Posted 9/7/2023)
The man suspected of torching and shooting at patrol vehicles at the Michigan State Police Sault Ste. Marie Post yesterday was arrested after an exchange of gunfire, according to police.
We’re told the suspect is a 39-year-old from Florida was found with the help from multiple calls from the community. Just before 2 p. this afternoon, a search warrant was secured and MSP’s Emergency Support Team — which a spokesperson described as comparable to a SWAT team — searched a piece of property occupied by a camper, on Riverside Road in the Sault Ste. Marie area.
During the search, police say the suspect fired gunshots toward officers, who in turn shot back. No officers were hurt, but the suspect was shot and taken to the hospital. We are working to learn his condition.
The suspect’s identity and charges will not be known until after he is arraigned in court. We’re told the prosecutor has begun reviewing the case, and maximum charges are being sought.
As is procedure, MSP Seventh District will investigate the shooting, and the officers involved will be on leave until that investigation concludes. it is not known how many officers fired shots, or if more than one is currently on leave. Police confirm officers with the Emergency Support Team were wearing body cameras, and Local 3 is seeking footage of the incident.
This is a developing story. Local 3 will keep you informed with updates as they come.