HANCOCK, Mich. (WJMN) – Portage Health Foundation (PHF), which is based in Hancock, announced on Monday that it is matching $200,000 in donations for its sixth annual Giving Tuesday campaign on November 29, 2022.
PHF plans to give each nonprofit a portion of the match equal to the portion of the total amount of donations designated to them during the campaign.
Donations have already started pouring in from 17 states. As of 8 a.m Monday, the total donations between 26 non-profits was $213,887.
New for 2022, PHF started the social media hashtag (#GiveCopperCountry) along with two programs to encourage community participation.
Dining for Donations
The program is working with six restaurants. When you eat at any of the restaurants on Giving Tuesday, the restaurants will make donations.
- Michigan House Cafe
- The Copper Range Depot
- Skippers Bar and Grille
- Syl’s Cafe
- The Squeeze on Main
Schools within Baraga and Houghton Counties are collecting pennies as a way to encourage donations and to build excitement for giving Tuesday. Competing schools will work towards a class prize for raising the most money.
Portage Health Foundation has also added five new non-profit organizations to its partner list.
- Bootjack Fire & Rescue Foundation
- Camp Josh
- Copper Country Junior Hockey Association
- Ripple Recovery Residence – Great Lake Recovery Centers Foundation
- Unitē Mental Health and Wellness.
Donations can be made at phfgive.org/givingtuesday through 11:59 p.m. on November 29. Donations can also be dropped off at the Portage Health Foundation office in downtown Hancock or mailed to 400 Quincy St; 5th Floor; Hancock, MI 49930 as long as they’re posted marked by the end of the day on November 29. Checks must be written out to PHF with the nonprofit(s) designated. Stock transfers are also accepted, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1 (906) 523-5920 with questions.
Additional GivingTuesday partners this year include:
- Swedetown Trails Club
- Superior Search & Rescue
- Simple Kindness for Youth
- Ontonagon County Cancer Association
- Omega House
- Little Brothers Friends of the Elderly
- Keweenaw Random Acts of Community Kindness
- Keweenaw Nordic Ski Club
- Keweenaw Family Resource Center
- Friends of Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park
- Dial Help
- Dan Schmitt Gift of Music
- Copper Country Senior Meals
- Copper Harbor Trails Club
- Copper Country Habitat for Humanity
- Copper Country Angel Mission
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Western UP – U.P. Kids
- Barbara Kettle Gundlach Shelter Home
- Baraga County Shelter Home
- Ahmeek Village Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- 31 Backpacks