Tahquamenon Area Schools closed after second grader lights poster board on fire

News
fire

Like Local 3 News on Facebook:

NEWBERRY– Around 9:30 a.m. today, the Newberry Fire Department was dispatched to Tahquamenon Elementary School of a report of a fire in the hallway. Staff and students were evacuated from the school

Upon arrival, the elementary wing was engulfed in dense smoke. The Luce County Sheriff’s Department investigated and revealed the a second grade student had utilized a cigarette lighter to burn paper on a 4 ft. poster board that hung in the hallway.

One victim was treated at Helen Newberry Joy Hospital for respiratory distress as a result of smoke inhalation. The student responsible has been suspended and a police report has been submitted to the Luce County Prosecutor’s Office.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Follow Us

SISU

Virtual tour of the Upper Peninsula

Trending Stories