Like Local 3 News on Facebook:
MARQUETTE – The U.P. Football All-Star Game has released its schedule and list of players for this year’s event.
According to a press release from the group, 2018 marks the 11th year of the U.P. summer football classic. Last year, there was a major change made in dividing up the players, when it was decided that the coaches would conduct a “fantasy draft” of the invited players. They could pick whichever players they wanted on their respective teams, regardless of what schools the players or coaches were from. For the first nine years, it was East vs West, or North vs South. The draft was such a big hit with everyone last year that the players will be picked in the same manner again this year. They will either be on the Red Team or the Black Team.
The draft will take place on Saturday, March 17th, and the picks will be reported live on social media for all who want to follow the progress. The coaches from both teams will be in attendance and are getting underway with the research of all players, so they can put together the best team possible that fits their offensive and defensive schemes.
This “draft” twist has been generating quite the buzz since it was used last year. Not only will players be competing against traditional rivals this year, they might also be competing against players on their own school’s team. There is little doubt that last year’s game was the most competitive and evenly matched in the 10-year history of the event. The coaches did a great job picking their teams, and will certainly be prepared this year as well.
The game will be played in Marquette at the Superior Dome, on Saturday, June 30, 2018. Game time is set for 1 PM, with the doors opening at noon. Many activities are planned throughout the week for the players and coaches.
– Monday, June 25, the players and coaches check in at Meyland & Majors Halls on NMU campus, and there will be a food drive for the Beacon House food pantry at the check-in location.
– Tuesday evening, June 26, will be the team and individual pictures, as well as media day. Players and coaches will be available for interviews from any media that are present.
– Wednesday afternoon, June 27, will be the Players Skills Challenge. The players will compete for the titles of Fastest Man, Strongest Man, Receiver, Quarterback Challenge, Kicking and Punting Challenges.
– Thursday, June 28, the players and coaches will be visiting Bay Cliff Health Camp, which has become one of the signature events of All-Star Week. Bay Cliff is a summer camp for children with physical disabilities and the all-star players will spend time with the campers, showing them football drills, and finishing the day by having dinner with the Bay Cliff campers and staff. After dinner, the players join the campers in their traditional flag lowering ceremony at the central square, which ends each day at Bay Cliff and is very special to be a part of.
– Friday evening, June 29, is the All-Star Banquet, with the guest speaker to be announced at a later date. The banquet provides family and friends a chance to connect with the All-Star players after a long week of practice and activities. It is formal attire for the players, and they stand up in front of everyone and introduce their roommate for the week, and tell everyone some things about each other. Players also get recognized for their accomplishments during the Skills Challenge and they receive their All-Star Rings.
The U.P. Football All-Star Game will also be donating proceeds to the following U.P. charities: Beacon House, The U.P. Sports Hall of Fame, as well as Westwood and Menominee Schools. A lottery drawing was performed to select the two schools, and donations will be made directly to the football program of those schools chosen. Each year, new schools will be chosen until all U.P. schools have received a monetary benefit from the game. Several other schools (Bark River-Harris, West Iron County, Gogebic and Ontonagon) will also receive donations in the form of All-Star Game equipment, which includes the practice jerseys and footballs.
Here are the list of players participating in this year’s event:
|First||Last||School||Ryan||Arndt||Bark River-Harris||Mike||Hall||Bark River-Harris||Kaleb||Johanson||Brimley||Cooper||Twardzik||Calumet||Nick||Voelker||Calumet||Dakota||Fairchild||Cedarville||Trey||Norris||Cedarville||Scout||Bigger||Engadine||Logan||Carroll||Escanaba||Josh||Grassel||Escanaba||Hayden||Haslow||Escanaba||Johnathan||Schlenvogt||Escanaba||Cody||Vandermissen||Escanaba||Scout||Wunder||Escanaba||Connor||Bortolini||Forest Park||Jonah||Logan||Forest Park||Robert||Ponchaud||Forest Park||Zach||Robarge||Forest Park||Peter||Ropiak||Forest Park||Alex||Chouinard||Gladstone||Jared||Demeuse||Gladstone||Spencer||Husbye||Gladstone||Darin||Johnson||Gladstone||Jeff||Stenson||Gladstone||Brayden||Tomes||Gogebic (Bessemer)||Bailey||Ribich||Gogebic (WM)||Daniel||Johnson||Gwinn||Grant||Hokenson||Hancock (Chasell)||Aaron||Barnes||Hancock (Chassell)||Scott||Cooper||Houghton||Jake||Rajala||Houghton||Jacob||Tucker||Iron Mountain||Aaron||Corkin||Ishpeming||Donald||Denofre||Ishpeming||Liam||Gayan||Kingsford||Chase||Kreski||Kingsford||Sawyer||Perpich||Kingsford||Eddie||Plumley||Kingsford||Joseph||Rietveld||Kingsford||Preston||Strong||Kingsford||Jon||Sturm||Kingsford||Aaron||Hainault||Lake Linden||Dominic||Wagner||Lake Linden||Kooper||Jahfetson||L’Anse||Foster||Miller||L’Anse||Kyle||Seeley||Manistique||Zack||Albright||Marquette||Wyatt||Filkins||Marquette||Jason||Janquart||Menominee||Jacob||Rivard||Menominee||Alec||Blank||Munising||Robby||Williams||Negaunee||Tyler||Blakely||Newberry||David||Carlson||Newberry||Jeff||Rahilly||Newberry||George||Sevarns||Newberry||Hunter||Riley||North Central||Jared||Miller||North Dickinson||Mike||Miller||North Dickinson||Joshua||Boulden||Norway||Connor||Ortman||Norway||Dante||Pedrotti||Norway||Josh||Plante||Norway||Micah||Wilson||Norway||James||Domitrovich||Ontonagon||Jake||Witt||Ontonagon (ETC)||Joseph||Boik||Pickford||Garrett||Dodds||Pickford||John||LaMothe||Pickford||Logan||Hardwick||Rapid River||Gavin||Harris||Rapid River||Jarrett||LaCasse||Rapid River||Lucas||Sundling||Rapid River||Damarius||Johnson||Rudyard||Francis||Scheid||Sault Ste Marie||Mason||Gustafson||St. Ignace||Jesus||Becerra||Stephenson||Jeff||Doboy||Stephenson||Bryce||Hornick||Stephenson||Wade||Krysiack||Superior Central||Ramsey||Luft||Superior Central||Jayce||Brockhagen||West Iron County||Brandon||Henschel||West Iron County||Austin||Persson||West Iron County||Neal||Tomasoski||West Iron County||Ethan||Burke||Westwood||David||Delayre||Westwood||Tabin||Filizetti||Westwood||Ethan||Homola||Westwood||BLACK TEAM COACHES||Al||Stenberg||Bark River-Harris||Bob||Maycroft||Bark River-Harris||Kevin||Mileski||Bark River-Harris||Scott||Syrjala||Westwood||Brad||Wiljanen||Westwood||Luke||Gray||Westwood||Mitchell||Messing||Westwood||RED TEAM COACHES||Mike||Berutti||West Iron County||Kevin||Leonoff||West Iron County||Chris||Thomson||West Iron County||Chris||Soha||West Iron County||Rae||Drake Jr.||Bay College||Neil||Clapp||Escanaba||Jeff||Olson||Ishpeming||Kevin||Grundy||Wausau East|
|Francis||Scheid||Sault Ste Marie|
|Jayce||Brockhagen||West Iron County|
|Brandon||Henschel||West Iron County|
|Austin||Persson||West Iron County|
|Neal||Tomasoski||West Iron County|
|BLACK TEAM COACHES|
|RED TEAM COACHES|
|Mike||Berutti||West Iron County|
|Kevin||Leonoff||West Iron County|
|Chris||Thomson||West Iron County|
|Chris||Soha||West Iron County|
|Rae||Drake Jr.||Bay College|