UPDATE: Early morning house fire in Ishpeming

News
Fire Line_-608044130995058538

UPDATE: The Rich’s youngest son alerted family members to the fire in his bedroom, and everyone was able to escape uninjured before the fire departments arrived. There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire. Fire department officials believe an electrical short in the child’s bedroom caused the fire. 

Everyone is reminded to check your smoke alarms and not to remove the batteries from them for other uses.

—–

A home in Ishpeming caught fire early Tuesday morning.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department was called out to 640 Maurice Street around 2 a.m. Ishpeming Police Officers arrived shortly before the fire department and made sure that everyone was out of the house.

Firefighters saw smoke coming from the second floor of the home. When firefighters went into the home, they found the fire in one of the upstairs bedrooms. The bedroom was heavily damaged and smoke and water damaged the rest of the house.

Owners Mathew and Sarah Rich, their one adult son and their 10 year old child were at when the house caught fire but were not injured. Ishpeming Fire Department officials are sill investigating the fire, but believe the fire was electrical.

Assisting at the scene were the Ishpeming City Police and the Marquette County 131 Rescue Unit. 24 Firefighters from Ishpeming and three fire trucks responded to the call and remained on scene for about an hour. The American Red Cross and Marquette County’s Pigs & Heat fire relief fund will provide assistance.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Follow Us

Trending Stories