MARQUETTE COUNTY, Mich. (WJMN) — On Friday, Michigan State Police provided an update that a woman who was rescued from a near drowning incident at Little Presque Isle beach has now died.
Michigan State Troopers from the Negaunee Post were dispatched on Thursday to a missing swimmer at Little Presque Isle Beach in Marquette Township.
The woman has been identified as Yookyung Leemazzoni.
When troopers arrived, they learned from witnesses that a 42-year-old woman from Lexington, Kentucky was snorkeling with her family when she went underwater and did not return to the surface.
Witnesses reported that the woman was underwater for about 5 minutes before she was located by other beach goers. CPR was initiated by a nurse from downstate Jackson before first responders arrived.
The woman was transported to U.P. Health System Marquette where she is receiving treatment in the Intensive Care Unit.
- Animal shelters encouraged to apply for 2021 grants
- Renovations approved for Dickinson County Memorial Hospital
- US official: 2020 census to end Oct. 5 despite court order
- Times’ tax story is talker, but perceptions mostly hold
- Expanded Small Business Development Center support services available to small businesses