MARQUETTE COUNTY, Mich. (WJMN) — On Friday, Michigan State Police provided an update that a woman who was rescued from a near drowning incident at Little Presque Isle beach has now died.
Michigan State Troopers from the Negaunee Post were dispatched on Thursday to a missing swimmer at Little Presque Isle Beach in Marquette Township.
The woman has been identified as Yookyung Leemazzoni.
When troopers arrived, they learned from witnesses that a 42-year-old woman from Lexington, Kentucky was snorkeling with her family when she went underwater and did not return to the surface.
Witnesses reported that the woman was underwater for about 5 minutes before she was located by other beach goers. CPR was initiated by a nurse from downstate Jackson before first responders arrived.
The woman was transported to U.P. Health System Marquette where she is receiving treatment in the Intensive Care Unit.
- New owners at Otter Lake Campground and Lodges excited for new venture
- GINCC discusses grants and loans for businesses impacted by the pandemic
- Gov. Evers issues new health emergency, face-covering requirement effective immediately
- Michigan announces about 1,700 more coronavirus cases
- Stores drop MyPillow after CEO pushes election conspiracies