REPUBLIC, Mich., (WJMN) – The Marquette County Sheriff’s Office received 3 reports of damaged mailboxes on Fence River Road in Republic Township Friday, August 17.
One resident told officers he heard several loud bangs and then the sound of a vehicle or an ATV speeding off down the road. He then noticed his mailbox had been damaged by what appeared to be a baseball bat or similar object.
The incident was reported shortly after 10:00 P.M. on Friday. The investigating deputy noted there may be more damaged mailboxes that were not reported. If you have any information regarding the incident, call the Sheriff’s Office at (906)-225-8434.
Vandalism of mailboxes is taken seriously and carries a fine of up to $250,000 or can result in up to 3 years of jail time if convicted. Mailboxes are protected by federal law and crimes against mailboxes (and the mail inside) are investigated by Postal Inspectors.
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee
- Top 3 on 3: HS Football best plays of week one
- Lions embattled coach Matt Patricia backed by his players
- ‘Social Justice for Us’ remembers Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a candle vigil
- Vote America makes push on Nat’l Voter Registration Day