RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Adam Erne and Filip Zadina scored two quick third-period goals while Jonathan Bernier finished with 37 saves to help the Detroit Red Wings beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1. Sam Gagner added a clinching empty-net score late for the Red Wings, who continue to frustrate the Hurricanes. Carolina came in tied for the Central Division lead yet have lost four of seven against the division’s last-place team. Detroit also spoiled a milestone night for Carolina captain Jordan Staal, who was honored for playing his 1,000th regular-season NHL game. Nino Niederreiter scored Carolina’s only goal.
- The Female Field: Raven Johnson is first girl to play in boys All-American game
- Michigan high school baseball player dies following head injury from in-game collision
- Road to the LPGA: The Island Resort Championship returns
- Olympics bans ‘Black Lives Matter’ apparel, could punish athletes for social protests
- Magic top Pistons 119-112 behind Bamba’s big night